Some text …
Some more text ..
- See more at: http://www.csstutorial.net/css_misc_images.php#sthash.abGgGMpE.dpuf -->

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Super Christian


                For a while now in my life I've known a good handful of non-believers.  I’m around people who don’t believe in Jesus almost just as often as I’m around people who do. The other night I was out for ice cream with some people and we were talking about another group of people. I was talking with three atheists and one agnostic girl; all four of these people understand that I am a Christian. Soon enough the other group we were talking about was referred to as the “super Christian” group.  In a sentence that term would be used as such: “Oh…they’re like super Christians aren't they?”
                To be honest I was immediately insulted. Why were these other people super Christians and I somehow wasn't? I started worrying if I’m a bad example of Christ in other’s lives. I wondered if I wasn’t doing enough to show people that I was a Christian too. I am more than willing to be the Christian I believe Christ is calling me to be so why did it feel to me as though I was being classified as just an every-day Christian whereas others seemed to possess super evangelical powers?
                As I craved to belong to this group I realized the possibility that perhaps being super Christian means something entirely different to nonbelievers. I tried to revert my mind back to when I didn’t believe and after doing so I felt more and more like I didn’t want to be that type of Christian. I don’t want to be super if that means I can’t be friends with someone who is gay because they’re a sinner going to hell. I don’t want to be super if that means constantly insulting others based on a difference of political views. I don’t want to be super if it means I have to start thinking I’m not a sinner because my sins aren’t as severe or public. I think when nonbelievers use the phrase Super Christian those are the types of connotations paired with it and if nonbelievers stick up their nose and don’t want to be around a “Super Christian” then that prevents us from being Christ-like in the first place!

                When I hear the phrase Super Christian I hear something entirely different. I want to be super if that means everyone can see I have faith. I want to be super if that means I can rub elbows with other sinners just like me. I want to be super if that means the love I show to others is always evident and genuine. I want to be super if that means displaying any political views with grace and correct timing. I want to be super if it truly does mean being super Christ-like. I want to be super if that means I’m a Christian who is loved by believers and nonbelievers alike. I could go on for days about what a super Christian would sound like to me because a super Christian would possess all the qualities I try to practice having daily; patience, humility, grace, love, wisdom, righteousness, maturity, etc. By my own standards being called a super Christian could possibly be one of the best compliments of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment